All the fun activities that you do at home with your child are important in supporting their learning and development, and have a really long lasting effect on your child's learning as they progress through school. If you make the time every day to do some of the following things with your child, it will make a real difference to your child's confidence as a young learner.
· Sing and tell nursery rhymes
· Talk about the numbers, colours, words and letters you see when you are out and about
· Allow your child to cut out and stick pictures from magazines
· Cook and bake together
· Plant seeds or bulbs in a pot or garden patch
· Use the weather - shadows, rain puddles, snow, wind, mist and sun - to extend your child's vocabulary
· Explore the park at a different time of year
· Share a book
· Talk to your child at every opportunity - e.g. what are you doing that day or what you are doing tomorrow/at the weekend
· On a trip to the supermarket, talk about all the different shapes, colours, numbers you can see...make a shopping list!